Revit surely leads the market in the BIM software space. The periodic introduction of new features and extensive tutorial library make it desirable for industry leaders as well as new adopters. One important application of Revit usage in the AEC industry could be MEP design and coordination.
Use BIM Automation to Automate Modeling and Design Activities
Autodesk Revit’s new 2024 features
This is quite evident with Autodesk Revit’s new 2024 feature for MEP design workflow:
1. Enhanced electrical analysis in the system browser : The System Browser is a tool that displays a hierarchical list of project components by disciplines, zones, or analytical systems. Users can customize the display by sorting, expanding zones, or using analytical systems. Customization options include AutoFit All Columns, Column Settings, and adding zones. Selecting components in the System Browser and drawing is possible with Ctrl or Shift. Users can show, delete, open, or cancel operations.
2. Fabrication detailing with different workflows : Revit supports various MEP detailing workflows by requiring a fabrication configuration and load services for each model. This allows for the creation of detailed fabrication models and the conversion of existing models with generic parts to use fabrication parts. Flow and pressure calculations are added to fabrication networks for integration. However, minor losses are not considered.
3. Electrical Analysis for Preliminary Design: Before installing actual electrical families, electrical engineers can use the tools in this area to plan and assess the linked load in a Revit model. A Revit model with a connected architectural mode may be examined. As an alternative, you can examine non-Revit data, such as a PDF or DWG that is connected. At the moment, only three phases are supported by the electrical analysis distribution components and related loads.
4. Network-based calculations : To integrate design and fabrication workflows, network-based calculations for flow and pressure drop are available for design ductwork. Use the Networks tab in the Mechanical Settings dialog to enable the calculation engine for ductwork. When enabled, calculations run in the background, so you can continue to work.
5. Augmenting ductwork with detailing on stiffeners : Each ducting piece in the model can have stiffeners added by MEP fabrication detailers. MEP fabrication detailers help to the development of a sturdy and dependable HVAC system that complies with design and safety requirements by adding stiffeners to each ducting in the model.
Revit has also introduced some general workflow updates that could further aid in your MEP Design Process -
Schedule Revision Clouds: Users may now plan, group, filter, and sort revision clouds inside a project using Revit. Revision clouds, views, sheets, and project information are just a few of the categories from which users may select which fields to include. Tracking the location of revisions inside the project and within particular sheets or views is made possible by this. Multiple revisions are possible for an MEP design project. To guarantee accurate reporting on MEP modeling and coordination, users have the option to combine characteristics such as sheet name and sheet number, which may be concealed if preferred. This makes it possible to manage and organize revisions within the project more effectively.
Linking and Working with Coordination Models from Docs: Projects may be linked to coordination models from Docs using BIM 360 Docs. The best visualization board for your MEP clash detection and coordination needs is the Revit-Navisworks workflow. So, now, Navisworks and Revit files may be found by selecting Insert, Coordination Model, and Autodesk Docs. Connect to internal or shared coordinates by origin. This could ease the early-stage coordination among stakeholders about positioning early on in the BIM coordination process. One tip for further optimizing this feature is to use snaps and snapping points, as well as access the attributes of the coordination model, to improve design coordination.
Place multiple views on sheets: Either drag and drop numerous views on a sheet to save time or use the Sheet Composition panel’s View – Place View option to add many views at once. It is important to note that this just gives you the option to select which views to add to a single sheet, not that you may put the same view on many sheets. Once selected, the view titles that correspond with each viewport will appear, just like they did previously. You can insert the views, but you might need to rearrange certain items to make them fit inside the titleblock. Keep in mind that the views can be larger than your titleblock. For an MEP designer and an MEP project manager, the complexities at stake is highest compared to any other stakeholder. Allowing them multiple views on MEP projects could be a big-time benefit to comprehension of better decision on MEP design and renovation.
Tejjy Inc. specifically deploys Revit for its BIM design and project management needs. Keep following us as keeping up with Revit updates and new features is our profession!