Building Information Modeling Frequently Asked Questions
What is BIM Building Information Modeling?
Building information modeling (BIM) is a digitized platform to create 3d model with spatial information. The spatial information includes physical and functional attributes in building design. There are different levels of dimensions which adds to the benefits of BIM. 3d model is the basic modeling service for coordinated Architecture, Engineering and Construction services. Adopting various dimensions and level of detailing 3dmodel reflects interoperability for designing, construction and operation of building projects.
Ability to work in point cloud based environment , information can be extracted or exchanged from BIM files to support decision-making about a built asset. Contemporary BIM software applications can be used by individuals, businesses and government agencies to plan, design, construct, operate and maintain various physical infrastructures, like water, waste, energy, gas, communication utilities, and infrastructural facilities like railways, roads, bridges, ports, and tunnels.
What are BIM Dimensions ? How many dimensions are there in BIM?
Building Information Modeling refers to level of detailed information and data entered into 3D model using BIM software. These dimensions of building design comprises of various data related to time, costs, and sustainability. Best BIM companies in us and world facilitate all BIM dimensions with BIM LOD( level of detailing).
- 3D BIM – The 3rd dimension model is all about geometry.
- 4D BIM – The 4th Dimension encompasses time parameter. 4d bim with naviswork helps in scheduling and simulation.
- 5D BIM – 5th Dimension of bim includes cost and material estimation, analysis and budget tracking. 5d modeling helps surveyors and estimator in estimation ,quantity take off.
- 6D BIM – 6th Dimension of building information modeling is about self-sustainability and energy efficient design build services.
- 7D BIM – 7th Dimension of BIM allows asset management along with facility management. BIM services support design build services after the completion of the construction project lifecycle.
- 8D BIM – Risk Mitigation or safety management for effective accident prevention through building design.
How does BIM impact Construction management?
The transformation from CAD to BIM has given a new vision to construction project management. The 3D model facilitates architectural, structural engineering & construction professionals with an insight to plan, design, construct & manage building design for residential and commercial projects. 3D Modeling with its dimensions and level of detailing brings detailed building information. If BIM consultants adopt appropriate BIM softwares like revit, Autodesk, dynamo building lifecycle management with construction sequences can be accurately visualized.
AEC project stakeholders can accurate do cost estimation and quantity take off. 4d bim with naviswork helps in scheduling and tracking online activities of team. Best BIM modelling companies facilitating disciplines like architectural, structural & MEP (Mechanical, Electrical & Plumbing) designs are well synchronized. Furthermore, BIM in construction helps in identifying clashes and conflicts, specifying the exact location of discrepancies making the journey of mep engineering to exist in clash coordinated environment.
BIM and VDC virtual design construction technique before the actual construction, to minimize uncertainty, enhance safety, resolve problems, simulate and analyze potential impacts. Sub-contractors can put information into BIM model before construction, with prospects to pre-fabricate systems off-site. Wastage can also be reduced and products can be delivered promptly instead of being stock-piled on construction site. Quantity and material extraction can also be done easily. Systems, assemblies, and sequences can be revealed virtually with an entire facility or group of facilities. BIM also minimizes errors through clash detection, where the computer model highlights the building parts (including a structural frame, pipes or ducts) that may wrongly intersect.
What is BIM Facility Management?
BIM Building Information Modeling helps construction professionals to bridge the information loss associated with managing a project from design & construction team to building owner & operator. Best BIM companies facilitates every construction project stakeholder to add and refer back every information acquired by BIM model. These modeling techniques yield advantages to the facility owner or operator.
To take an instance, a building owner may find a leakage in the building. Instead of exploring the physical building, he can take a look at the BIM model to check the location of the water valve in a suspected location. Dynamic information pertaining to the building, like sensor measurements as well as control signals from the building systems, can be integrated within MEP BIM software application to support analysis of building operation and maintenance.
BIM company can be utilized to support a holistic understanding and implementation of building management practices and “cost of ownership” principles that support the full product lifecycle of a building.
What is Green BIM?
Building Information Modeling BIM in green building or “green BIM” is a process of facilitating architects, engineers and construction professionals to increase sustainability in the construction industry. The BIM Modeling technique helps all AEC professionals to integrate and analyze environmental issues in their design over the building lifecycle.
How BIM works for Architecture, Engineering , Construction Industry?
- BIM modeling techniques improve collaboration with consistent information throughout construction project lifecycle.
- 3D Visualization animation walkthrough during pre-construction stages incorporates architects, contractors, subcontractors, BIM engineers perspective. Clients can also envision the project before the beginning of construction.
- 4D Scheduling facilitate online tracking of activities providing better risk mitigation.
- 5D BIM Modeling techniques helps estimators and surveyors to estimate accurate cost estimation . Quantity take-offs enable material and labor measurement before construction project has started. BIM Model-Based 5D cost estimation and quantity takeoff updates itself with any change in design intent.
- Better Project Coordination & MEP Clash Detection coordination can be achieved with BIM model.
- Reduced Cost & Risk
- Increased Productivity & Prefabrication / Modularization of Materials offsite
- Lower Warranty Costs
How BIM Modeling benefits AEC services?
- Construction Visualization & Rendering
- Constructability Review
- Coordination & Collision Detection
- Design Validation
- 4D Construction Sequencing Planning/Phasing
- Pre-construction Site Logistics
- Marketing Presentations
- Facilities Management
- Cost Estimation through Quantity Take-Off
- Shop Drawing Creation
- Life-Cycle Assessment
What are the Barriers to Industry Implementation of Building Information Modeling?
BIM can bring a paradigm shift to the construction industry – this concept will not work without industry standards and interoperability.
- Technology & software – Without industry standards & interoperability, it is difficult to share building models. This leads to a problem as Building Information Modeling entails collaboration.
- Legal complications – Greater accountability within architectural and construction communities prevent industry implementation of BIM.
How much does BIM implementation cost ?
There isn’t any specific answer to this question. However, to get an idea of the cost, you should consider what it takes to implement BIM like software license, new hardware, new staff, software training, and more. Adopting BIM in construction workflow can be a bit expensive, but keeping in mind the major cost savings associated with projects, BIM should be implemented for both designers and builders accurate work.
What Strategy Should I Adopt for BIM Implementation?
Make a plan, keep it simple and be specific. Focus on tangible objects. Avoid implementing on multiple projects before you get a positive response of using BIM on one project. Don’t overvalue BIM or make promise that you can’t keep. If you are new to the market Tejjy Inc. provides BIM hiring and training of designers, modelers, architects, BIM professionals, contractors to assist your working capacity and boost your profitability.
Do BIM company Requires Logistic Planning?
- Pick a first project to test the process on.
- Invest in BIM software, hardware, staff & training.
- Start using the software to develop designs for prototype project.
- Unless working with a design firm using BIM, create a 3D model of the pilot project using a process referred to as a 2D conversion.
- Seek BIM consulting services to get assistance on training and implementation.
- Stay focused on your tangible goals.
- Include senior management and end-uses in an effective way to gain buy-in & support.
Who are involved in BIM management?
Coordination is the core of Design Build Firm. With BIM Coordination top BIM companies have not not brought down project cost but aslso maintained quality standards. BIM and VDC services together bring Owners, Architect, Structural Engineers, Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbig, HVAC Consultants, Construction managers, General contractors, Specialty contractors, Concrete Contractors , Fire protection contractors , Drywall contractors ,Home builders.
Which are the best BIM softwares in 2021?
There are numerous BIM softwares in construction industry. Every Architecture, Engineering Construction firm doesn’t need to work with all BIM modeling software applications. However, some of the significant software applications include:
- Object oriented 3D modeling for model creation and manipulations. Autodesk Revit , Bentley, Microstation
- Engineering analysis software: Risa 3D, Tekla Structures
- Rendering software: 3DS Max
- Coordination software: Navisworks, Tekla Structures
- Estimating software: Timberline, Graphisoft Constructor
- Middleware: Innovaya, Avatech Earth Connector
- Detailing Software: Tekla Structures, SDS/2
What are As-Built drawings | As built models?
As-built drawings are a significant constituent of construction projects. The drawings serve as copies or recreations of the techniques in which the project is created, and pin-point the changes made as it is being built. The revised drawings are created and submitted once a construction project is completed. They encompass all changes made from the initial drawings during the construction process, and provide an exact rendering of the construction and property as it seems after completion.
The As-Built Drawings include:
- Clear descriptions as opposed to vague phrases
- Changes in materials used, locations, & sizing
- Location of utilities including depth and materials of each
- Unexpected obstructions & solutions used
- Dates when changes were made
- Shop drawings and appendices for future use
What are the Different Types of Blueprints?
The process of blueprinting was developed in mid-1800s, when scientists revealed that Ammonium Iron Citrate & Potassium Ferro-cyanide can create a photosensitive solution for reproducing documents.
There are three basic perspective drawings used in architectural design and construction:
- One-point perspective
- Two-point perspective
- Three-point perspective
Why are the Blueprints of Houses So Important?
Blueprints of Houses are the drawings including construction documents that provide AEC project stakeholders including, owners, general contractors, sub-contractors, and suppliers the required information to bid and build projects. Plan visualization is the initial component of blueprint.
Blueprints of a building can be generated from the 3D BIM Model using Revit software platforms for making architecture drawing floor plan for houses, offices, commercial buildings, and more.
What are the Types of Shop Drawings for ACS & MEP?
Types of Shop Drawings for ACS (Architectural, Concrete & Steel) include:
- Structural Steel Shop Drawing
- Reinforced Concrete Structure Shop Drawing
- Structural Erection Drawing
- General Arrangement (GA) Drawing
- RCC Rebar Detailing Service
- Precast Detailing Services
Types of Shop Drawings for MEP (Mechanical, Electrical & Plumbing) include:
- Detail Drawings
- Combined Services Drawing
- Enlarged Drawing
- As-Built Drawing
- Hanger Drawing
- Spool Drawing
How Can You Use BIM Files for Kitchen Architectural Design?
You can design kitchen architectural design with BIM company objects. However, before using BIM, you should know the best possible configuration for the kitchen. Here are the steps:
- Remember some basic concepts from kitchen design & construction guide
- Take advantage of BIM modularization to get the best performance from materials
- Choose the upper module as per kitchen height & locate as per function
- Experiment with materials for defining the final kitchen appearance
How Much Would BIM company Cost?
The cost of using BIM company software is based on a user-based subscription model. The price of a Revit software application stands approximately at $173.19 per month for a 3-year subscription. Many Building Information Modeling software solutions need some kind of training for which you may have to bear the cost around $2,000 besides what you’re paying.
What is BIM Level 2?
Various levels of maturity are found in Building Information Modeling. Level 0 defines unmanaged Computer-Aided Design or CAD. 1 provides an account of managed Computer-Aided Design in 2D and 3D. Level 2 entails the creation of building information in a collaborative 3D setting using data, generated in distinct discipline models. BIM company Level 2 entails all project & asset information, documentation & data to be electronic, for supporting project delivery at the design and construction phases.
How Much will an Architect Cost?
Most of the architects charge based on a percentage stands at about 8-15% of the total project cost. Hence, you can make the plan to spend around $800 to $1,500 for every $10,000 work you want to get executed. As per the market research, analyzing over 800 architectural contracts, the average price to hire an architect stands at around $4,666. Please note that the cost is subject to change as per market requirements.
What is the Difference Between an Architect and a Contractor?
An architect blends artistic vision with practicality before creating a design. However, a contractor manages the construction of a building, designed by the architects. Contractors are needed to execute the vision in reality. They also appoint subcontractors and other construction workers for building the project.
Job Responsibilities of Contractors
- Finishing jobs including roofing, flooring & electrical work
- Obtaining appropriate building permits from city and county
- Managing construction teams, ensuring the building is safe for inhabitants
- Using power-tools & instruments, like drills, hammers, etc. during construction
What are Architect job responsibilities ?
- Assisting in selecting building materials based on code & design elements
- Negotiating contracts with contractors to appoint teams for the actual build
- Renovating old buildings to bring in compliance with code or restoring to design
- Considering planned building ensuring the best design
Is Auto CAD a BIM?
No AutoCAD is not BIM. CAD i.e Computer-Aided Services is typically used for the industrial design of mechanical and electrical assemblies from airplanes to iPhones — while BIM i.e. Building Information Modeling is used exclusively in the design and construction of commercial and residential buildings which has become the new industry standard.
What is Revit BIM Modeling?
Revit is the BIM modeling software created by Autodesk. BIM modeling in Revit refers to the creation of a 3D BIM model that helps to generate customized Revit Families. It is the tool being used to leverage the whole BIM modeling process.
What are customized Revit Families?
Customized Revit Family is the process of creating the building or mechanical component using the Revit software by Autodesk. This Revit Families creation is being created in the Revit library and helps in business objectives such as planning, design analysis, cost estimation, product selection, and many more.
What are As Built Drawings?
As-Built Drawing is the record of deviation being done in the building as per the Construction and design drawing from the initial stage in the design-build process. This helps the contractor to make a note of on-site changes and then use them as record drawings. They can be easily compared with Shop drawings to know the exact status of the deviations being done in the project.
How BIM help Structural Engineers?
While using the BIM modeling techniques Structural Engineers can not only share knowledge and save time for easy delivery but it can also be used to optimize design, automate construction documentation so as to deliver the project effectively.
What is the difference between Revit modeling and BIM 360?
The basic and the most vital difference between Revit modeling and BIM 360 is related to accessibility. Revit Modeling grant access to all projects i.e. Current and previous at any level of modeling on the other hand BIM 360 has the ability to grant access to some specific projects only.
What is BIM 360 design?
The BIM 360 design helps you with real-time design collaboration and data management in Revit BIM modeling. It helps you to connect with all the team members through cloud computing in the real environment.
What are the benefits of BIM 360?
The BIM consultant companies provide BIM 360 as part of their BIM modeling services. The main benefits of BIM 360 include the following elements:
- Streamlines BIM project Flows
- Saves time reduce risk thus mitigating errors in construction projects
- Helps in improving the quality and safety of the construction project
- Work from anywhere anytime thus boost up the Business productivity
- Provide real-time access
***Benefits of BIM 360 doc***
BIM 360 doc has the following set of benefits :
- Lower cost and Reduce rework
BIM 360 doc ensures that the entire team is using the correct versions of documents so as to reduce the rework time and cost involved
2. Reduces Risk
One can easily access to BIM 360 plans and models from any place anytime so as to reduce the risk factor involved by keeping a check on all activities being conducted at the site.
3. Fast Delivery
BIM 360 doc helps in the fast delivery of the project as it is the automated document management system that helps in standard curation of content and workflows.
4. Better Communication
BIM 360 stores documents and designs on the cloud which helps in improving the business through better communication as one can easily access them anytime from anywhere.
What is Point Cloud Data?
Point Cloud are set of data points that represent the physical shape of object, surface. Basically, theses data points are 3D geometric coordinates of the scanned surface. X, Y, Z coordinates of the object are recorded through 3D laser scanner, LiDAR or photogammetry. The recorded dataset points or 3D coordinates are called Point cloud Data.
What is Scan to BIM?
3D coordinates of point cloud data generated by laser scanning, LiDAR are transformed into 3D Model. Scan to BIM Companies use Point Cloud Modeling software to digitally transform the scan point cloud data into BIM model. Scan to BIM services are delivering high quality Laser scan As-built drawings for renovation, restoration purposes.