Frequently Asked Questions
What is BIM (Building Information Modeling)?
Building information modeling (BIM) is a digitized platform to create 3d model with spatial information. The spatial information includes physical and functional attributes in building design. There are different levels of dimensions which adds to the benefits of BIM. 3d model is the basic modeling service for coordinated Architecture, Engineering and Construction services. Adopting various dimensions and level of detailing 3dmodel reflects interoperability for designing, construction and operation of building projects.
Ability to work in point cloud based environment , information can be extracted or exchanged from BIM files to support decision-making about a built asset. Contemporary BIM software applications can be used by individuals, businesses and government agencies to plan, design, construct, operate and maintain various physical infrastructures, like water, waste, energy, gas, communication utilities, and infrastructural facilities like railways, roads, bridges, ports, and tunnels.
What are BIM Dimensions ? How many dimensions are there in BIM?
Building Information Modeling refers to level of detailed information and data entered into 3D model using BIM software. These dimensions of building design comprises of various data related to time, costs, and sustainability. Best BIM companies in us and world facilitate all BIM dimensions with BIM LOD( level of detailing).
- 3D BIM – The 3rd dimension model is all about geometry.
- 4D BIM – The 4th Dimension encompasses time parameter. 4d bim with naviswork helps in scheduling and simulation.
- 5D BIM – 5th Dimension of bim includes cost and material estimation, analysis and budget tracking. 5d modeling helps surveyors and estimator in estimation ,quantity take off.
- 6D BIM – 6th Dimension of building information modeling is about self-sustainability and energy efficient design build services.
- 7D BIM – 7th Dimension of BIM allows asset management along with facility management. BIM services support design build services after the completion of the construction project lifecycle.
- 8D BIM – Risk Mitigation or safety management for effective accident prevention through building design.
What is Green BIM?
Building Information Modeling BIM in green building or “green BIM” is a process of facilitating architects, engineers and construction professionals to increase sustainability in the construction industry. The BIM Modeling technique helps all AEC professionals to integrate and analyze environmental issues in their design over the building lifecycle.
How BIM works for Architecture, Engineering, Construction Industry?
- BIM modeling techniques improve collaboration with consistent information throughout construction project lifecycle.
- 3D Visualization animation walkthrough during pre-construction stages incorporates architects, contractors, subcontractors, BIM engineers perspective. Clients can also envision the project before the beginning of construction.
- 4D Scheduling facilitate online tracking of activities providing better risk mitigation.
- 5D BIM Modeling techniques helps estimators and surveyors to estimate accurate cost estimation . Quantity take-offs enable material and labor measurement before construction project has started. BIM Model-Based 5D cost estimation and quantity takeoff updates itself with any change in design intent.
- Better Project Coordination & MEP Clash Detection coordination can be achieved with BIM model.
- Reduced Cost & Risk
- Increased Productivity & Prefabrication / Modularization of Materials offsite
- Lower Warranty Costs
How does BIM impact Construction management?
The transformation from CAD to BIM has given a new vision to construction project management. The 3D model facilitates architectural, structural engineering & construction professionals with an insight to plan, design, construct & manage building design for residential and commercial projects. 3D Modeling with its dimensions and level of detailing brings detailed building information. If BIM consultants adopt appropriate BIM softwares like revit, Autodesk, dynamo building lifecycle management with construction sequences can be accurately visualized.
AEC project stakeholders can accurate do cost estimation and quantity take off. 4d bim with naviswork helps in scheduling and tracking online activities of team. Best BIM modelling companies facilitating disciplines like architectural, structural & MEP (Mechanical, Electrical & Plumbing) designs are well synchronized. Furthermore, BIM in construction helps in identifying clashes and conflicts, specifying the exact location of discrepancies making the journey of mep engineering to exist in clash coordinated environment.
BIM and VDC virtual design construction technique before the actual construction, to minimize uncertainty, enhance safety, resolve problems, simulate and analyze potential impacts. Sub-contractors can put information into BIM model before construction, with prospects to pre-fabricate systems off-site. Wastage can also be reduced and products can be delivered promptly instead of being stock-piled on construction site. Quantity and material extraction can also be done easily. Systems, assemblies, and sequences can be revealed virtually with an entire facility or group of facilities. BIM also minimizes errors through clash detection, where the computer model highlights the building parts (including a structural frame, pipes or ducts) that may wrongly intersect.
Our geographical spread of mines and countries reduces our risk and increases our security of production. It also allows us to identify more opportunities, create synergies across our sites and transfer technology and people around the business.
What is BIM Facility Management?
BIM Building Information Modeling helps construction professionals to bridge the information loss associated with managing a project from design & construction team to building owner & operator. Best BIM companies facilitates every construction project stakeholder to add and refer back every information acquired by BIM model. These modeling techniques yield advantages to the facility owner or operator.
To take an instance, a building owner may find a leakage in the building. Instead of exploring the physical building, he can take a look at the BIM model to check the location of the water valve in a suspected location. Dynamic information pertaining to the building, like sensor measurements as well as control signals from the building systems, can be integrated within MEP BIM software application to support analysis of building operation and maintenance.
BIM company can be utilized to support a holistic understanding and implementation of building management practices and “cost of ownership” principles that support the full product lifecycle of a building.
How BIM Modeling benefits AEC services?
- Construction Visualization & Rendering
- Constructability Review
- Coordination & Collision Detection
- Design Validation
- 4D Construction Sequencing Planning/Phasing
- Pre-construction Site Logistics
- Marketing Presentations
- Facilities Management
- Cost Estimation through Quantity Take-Off
- Shop Drawing Creation
- Life-Cycle Assessment
What are the Barriers to Industry Implementation of Building Information Modeling?
BIM can bring a paradigm shift to the construction industry – this concept will not work without industry standards and interoperability.
- Technology & software – Without industry standards & interoperability, it is difficult to share building models. This leads to a problem as Building Information Modeling entails collaboration.
- Legal complications – Greater accountability within architectural and construction communities prevent industry implementation of BIM.
Do BIM company Requires Logistic Planning?
- Pick a first project to test the process on.
- Invest in BIM software, hardware, staff & training.
- Start using the software to develop designs for prototype project.
- Unless working with a design firm using BIM, create a 3D model of the pilot project using a process referred to as a 2D conversion.
- Seek BIM consulting services to get assistance on training and implementation.
- Stay focused on your tangible goals.
- Include senior management and end-uses in an effective way to gain buy-in & support.
What Strategy Should I Adopt for BIM Implementation?
Make a plan, keep it simple and be specific. Focus on tangible objects. Avoid implementing on multiple projects before you get a positive response of using BIM on one project. Don’t overvalue BIM or make promise that you can’t keep. If you are new to the market Tejjy Inc. provides BIM hiring and training of designers, modelers, architects, BIM professionals, contractors to assist your working capacity and boost your profitability.
Which are the best BIM software's in 2022?
There are numerous BIM softwares in construction industry. Every Architecture, Engineering Construction firm doesn’t need to work with all BIM modeling software applications. However, some of the significant software applications include:
- Object oriented 3D modeling for model creation and manipulations. Autodesk Revit , Bentley, Microstation
- Engineering analysis software: Risa 3D, Tekla Structures
- Rendering software: 3DS Max
- Coordination software: Navisworks, Tekla Structures
- Estimating software: Timberline, Graphisoft Constructor
- Middleware: Innovaya, Avatech Earth Connector
- Detailing Software: Tekla Structures, SDS/2
What are As-Built drawings & As built models?
As-built drawings are a significant constituent of construction projects. The drawings serve as copies or recreations of the techniques in which the project is created, and pin-point the changes made as it is being built. The revised drawings are created and submitted once a construction project is completed. They encompass all changes made from the initial drawings during the construction process and provide an exact rendering of the construction and property as it seems after completion.
The As-Built Drawings include:
- Clear descriptions as opposed to vague phrases
- Changes in materials used, locations, & sizing
- Location of utilities including depth and materials of each
- Unexpected obstructions & solutions used
- Dates when changes were made
- Shop drawings and appendices for future use
How Much Would BIM company Cost?
The cost of using BIM company software is based on a user-based subscription model. The price of a Revit software application stands approximately at $173.19 per month for a 3-year subscription. Many Building Information Modeling software solutions need some kind of training for which you may have to bear the cost around $2,000 besides what you’re paying.
What is BIM Level 2?
Various levels of maturity are found in Building Information Modeling. Level 0 defines unmanaged Computer-Aided Design or CAD. 1 provides an account of managed Computer-Aided Design in 2D and 3D. Level 2 entails the creation of building information in a collaborative 3D setting using data, generated in distinct discipline models. BIM company Level 2 entails all project & asset information, documentation & data to be electronic, for supporting project delivery at the design and construction phases.
How Much will an Architect Cost?
Most of the architects charge based on a percentage stands at about 8-15% of the total project cost. Hence, you can make the plan to spend around $800 to $1,500 for every $10,000 work you want to get executed. As per the market research, analyzing over 800 architectural contracts, the average price to hire an architect stands at around $4,666. Please note that the cost is subject to change as per market requirements.
What is the Difference Between an Architect and a Contractor?
An architect blends artistic vision with practicality before creating a design. However, a contractor manages the construction of a building, designed by the architects. Contractors are needed to execute the vision in reality. They also appoint subcontractors and other construction workers for building the project.
Is Auto CAD a BIM?
No AutoCAD is not BIM. CAD i.e Computer-Aided Services is typically used for the industrial design of mechanical and electrical assemblies from airplanes to iPhones — while BIM i.e. Building Information Modeling is used exclusively in the design and construction of commercial and residential buildings which has become the new industry standard.
What are customized Revit Families?
Customized Revit Family is the process of creating the building or mechanical component using the Revit software by Autodesk. This Revit Families creation is being created in the Revit library and helps in business objectives such as planning, design analysis, cost estimation, product selection, and many more.
How BIM help Structural Engineers?
While using the BIM modeling techniques Structural Engineers can not only share knowledge and save time for easy delivery but it can also be used to optimize design, automate construction documentation so as to deliver the project effectively.
What is the difference between Revit modeling and BIM 360?
The basic and the most vital difference between Revit modeling and BIM 360 is related to accessibility. Revit Modeling grants access to all projects i.e. Current and previous at any level of modeling, on the other hand, BIM 360 has the ability to grant access to some specific projects only.
What is BIM 360 design?
The BIM 360 design helps you with real-time design collaboration and data management in Revit BIM modeling. It helps you to connect with all the team members through cloud computing in the real environment.
What are the benefits of BIM 360?
The BIM consultant companies provide BIM 360 as part of their BIM modeling services. The main benefits of BIM 360 include the following elements:
- Streamlines BIM project Flows
- Saves time reduce risk thus mitigating errors in construction projects
- Helps in improving the quality and safety of the construction project
- Work from anywhere anytime thus boost up the Business productivity
- Provide real-time access
***Benefits of BIM 360 doc***
BIM 360 doc has the following set of benefits :
- Lower cost and Reduce rework
BIM 360 doc ensures that the entire team is using the correct versions of documents so as to reduce the rework time and cost involved
2. Reduces Risk
One can easily access to BIM 360 plans and models from any place anytime so as to reduce the risk factor involved by keeping a check on all activities being conducted at the site.
3. Fast Delivery
BIM 360 doc helps in the fast delivery of the project as it is the automated document management system that helps in standard curation of content and workflows.
4. Better Communication
BIM 360 stores documents and designs on the cloud which helps in improving the business through better communication as one can easily access them anytime from anywhere.
What is Scan to BIM?
3D coordinates of point cloud data generated by laser scanning, LiDAR are transformed into 3D Model. Scan to BIM Companies use Point Cloud Modeling software to digitally transform the scan point cloud data into BIM model. Scan to BIM services are delivering high quality Laser scan As-built drawings for renovation, restoration purposes.
What is Point Cloud Data?
Point Cloud is set of data points that represent the physical shape of the object, surface. Basically, these data points are 3D geometric coordinates of the scanned surface. X, Y, Z coordinates of the object are recorded through 3D laser scanner, LiDAR or photogrammetry. The recorded dataset points or 3D coordinates are called Point cloud Data.