Many consider Building Information Modeling (BIM) technology to be another CAD (Computer-Aided Design) program. However, in reality, the technique goes beyond that.
So What is BIM?
Table of Contents [TOC]
- So What is BIM?
- What is ArchiCAD?
- What is the Best BIM software – ArchiCAD or Revit Architecture?
- Benefits of Revit BIM Software:
- Limitation of Revit BIM Software:
- Benefits of ArchiCAD:
- Limitation of ArchiCAD:
- Understanding the Features of Revit & ArchiCAD Software Applications
- Experts’ Opinion on ArchiCad vs. Revit
- The crux of the Matter
BIM Building Information Modeling constitutes to be an intelligent model-based procedure for providing an insight to plan, design, build & manage buildings and infrastructure. BIM Engineering Software produces more than just digital 2D or 3D models, using objects having intelligence, geometry, and data. It is often defined by industry experts as a process of managing complexity and improving performance in construction projects.
Who Created Revit Software?
Revit software application created by the American multinational software corporation, Autodesk and ArchiCAD invented by the Hungarian company Graphisoft are the two key market players. Comparing ArchiCAD & Revit helps the architects, owners, and contractors for making the right decision about software implementation.
What is ArchiCAD?
ArchiCAD constitutes to be the first BIM engineering software application made in 1984. The software provides a set of tools for design & engineering. In contrast, Revit is a 4D BIM tool that facilitates the planning of all aspects of a building project, from design to construction and beyond. Since 2002, the software is used by architects, builders, engineers, project managers & more.
What is the Best BIM software – ArchiCAD or Revit Architecture?
ArchiCAD & Revit are both advanced & sophisticated BIM software applications with their metrics. Here are the comparisons of ArchiCAD & Revit:
Benefits of Revit BIM Software:
- Revit BIM software application facilitates architects & engineers for building designs and its components in 3D, annotating the BIM model with 2D drafting components and gaining access to building information from the model database.
- Revit has 4D BIM capability for planning & tracking several stages in the building’s lifecycle, from concept, construction to demolition.
- Revit has a huge demand in the market with a strong development platform, extensively supported by courses, tutorials & improved collaboration. It is exclusively meant for architecture, structure as well as MEP.
Limitation of Revit BIM Software:
- Revit does not operate on OSX. It requires the fastest CPU and file size to run.
Benefits of ArchiCAD:
- ArchiCAD is a 3D BIM Modeling & CAD application, which helps to draw, model & display building designs simply & quickly.
- Being object-oriented ArchiCAD helps to generate & amend 3D objects & create 2D architectural drawings & 3D models of the buildings.
- ArchiCAD is fully multi-threaded and also runs on OSX, which has a friendlier user interface, oriented towards architects.
- ArchiCAD has well-developed support for IFC, competent drafting, layout approach, and decent rendering.
- The software application also has flexibility & proficient parametric objects.
Limitation of ArchiCAD:
- Custom objects need GDL scripting
- Old workarounds are never solved
- Some extensions are not properly updated & less-used API
Understanding the Features of Revit & ArchiCAD Software Applications
- The user interface of ArchiCAD constitutes to be the first thing why users are praising for. It is clean & sleek with an easier learning curve for the designers. Though the interface can be customized in several ways, it has rather less flexibility than Revit.
- Revit constitutes to be a highly customizable interface, supporting manifold approaches for software usage. It is a bit complicated, due to its medium learning curve but Revit provides enhanced flexibility to the designers and architects. So, Revit Architecture is worth the investment for the architects.
In respect of Conceptual design, ArchiCAD is a rather user-friendly, facilitating push and pull modeling, instant & customized geometry, and smart multiple extruding. Similarly, Revit features a conceptual design, providing flexibility in the initial phases of a project, allowing the creation of geometry, which can later be integrated into the BIM project.
Revit has a wide array of views to design approaches, like wire frame & transparent surface. Every view can be operated & organized in a specific project and can be allotted to the overall view or specific to a category. ArchiCAD has similar visual flairs as Revit but doesn’t have the capability for applying views to detailed components.
ArchiCAD & Revit have a huge suite of tools for rendering, capable of producing photorealist images of the project interior and exteriors. The Ray Trace is a photo-realistic rendering method that lets panning & zooming with the Revit model. Through this visual panache, rendering begins at a lower resolution, but enhances its fidelity quickly. As a result of which, the AEC professionals can set photographic exposure, lightening as well as the background. ArchiCAD has Cine Render, a similar tool to Ray Trace, providing the opportunity to modify the shadow, texture, light and brightness.
Both software applications can import and export IFC files. Further, they can import and export all common file types, such as the 3D models, 2D drawings, and various other types of CAD files.
The cost of Revit 2018 is about $3091 per year. ArchiCAD 21 is a bit cheaper, though, it requires several add-ons to add manually for achieving the same functionality as Revit.
Experts’ Opinion on ArchiCad vs. Revit
Those who prefer ArchiCAD:
- Many architects prefer ArchiCAD as opposed to Revit as through ArchiCAD, they can express ideas better and can manage all parameters.
- ArchiCAD provides several tools that are beneficial for presenting and developing the design. As a result, the graphical presentation of the models, projects, and documentation are at an excellent level.
Those who worth Revit Architecture:
- Revit is a valuable software application, made for architecture, providing every single tool to design a good building.
- The software application is precise, providing a clean and accurate drawing.
The crux of the Matter
Both BIM software tools are dynamic. Dedicated users of each think that their preference is better. They undertake most of both software applications for different strengths and weaknesses. So, which one will you use? Which BIM Software you think is better, ArchiCAD or Revit ? Is Revit architecture worth the investment for your construction project? Whether BIM engineers & architects will be benefited by using Revit and ArchiCAD ? Talk to the BIM Modelers of Tejjy Inc. at 202-465-4830 or email@example.com.