Future for 3d Laser Scanning Services in Construction
Laser scanning services talked much about, adopted for convivence but is not new to the Construction Industry. Its journey started in 1960’s with camera, projector and lights. Even though the benefits of first laser scanning equipment were adopted yet it was time consuming. Infact present day 3D Laser scanning and modeling services are popular land surveying method. It is supporting BIM Services for accuracy in Construction for Architectural and Engineering industries. But how does 3D scanning services being non-destructive works more accurately.
In comparison to the old scanning equipment’s the present ones are technically more advanced. Loaded with photodetectors, Global positioning system (GPS), advanced sensors. The modern laser scanners uses laser beams along with other scanning components to calculate accurate coordinates of structures.
How Does Laser Scanning Works:
Light from a scanning system is bounced off onto the surface and reflected back to the sensors. Now, the sensors calculate the time taken by light to complete its journey. This time measurement known as “time of flight” helps us to calculate how far the surface is located. The measured distance hit by laser beam is used to calculate coordinate for a small section of the surface. With seconds of single scan, millions of 3D coordinates are collected by laser scanner. 3D coordinates are in form of point cloud data. Then point cloud processing software transforms the detailed point cloud data into 3D model.
Conversion of Point cloud scan to BIM generates digital representation of scanned surfaces reflects:
- Dimensions of scanned surface
- Spatial relationship of topographic features and structures.
Various Scanning Techniques:
LiDAR or ALS –
In 1985 simple scanners were replaced by LiDAR system. LiDAR Light Detection and Ranging is popularly known as air-borne laser scanning (ALS). This remote sensing technology facilitates map assisting, monitoring and assessment of forest resources. Laser device in LiDAR emit beam of light and measure the time of delay between emitting and reflection to calculate depth of the structure. LiDAR survey in construction create digital twin for BIM applications. The point cloud data gathered facilitates 3D model of the object and generate geospatial information.
The basic difference between LiDAR and Laser scanning techniques :
- LiDAR scans a particular area whereas Laser scan scans
Application of LiDAR in Construction:
LiDAR laser scanning is being applied from construction to automobile, space and even for environment. LiDAR data is used to monitor
- Surveying: LiDAR map create digital terrain and digital elevation models used by surveying with collected three dimensional coordinates.
- Architecture: Laser scanning system surveys in-built area as well as roadways, railways, covered building.
- Real-Estate: Scanning equipment’s measure accurate floor plans for architect and structural engineers.
- Construction: The LiDAR survey produces digital twin for BIM application. Not only the technology tracks building projects . But also, monitor structure, revit models Through laser scanner 3D coordinates are gathered in form of point cloud data. The point cloud processing software transforms the detailed point cloud data collected by laser scanners into 3D model.
SLAM or Simultaneous Localization & Mapping –
SLAM map is an algorithmic process to navigate environment with robot or unmanned vehicles. SLAM scanning process are adopted for very small or dangerous area through remote GIS data collection. SLAM scanners establish a wide array of sensor types such as audio rangefinders, visual cameras and inertial sensors. Nevertheless, LiDAR and laser scanners are crucial for producing accurate SLAM scans, and are used for BIM planning. Reality capture and digital transformation is driving automated construction workflow with SLAM and BIM (Building Information Management) collaboration. Giving platform for SLAM-to-BIM which is a subcategory of Scan-to-BIM. As all BIM is not same. BIM Level3 delivers improved construction workflow with maximized ROI whereas BIM Level 2 is adopted by UK which concentrates on CAD.
Scan to BIM uses 3D laser scanners to build BIM schematics for multiple spaces. This can be done at multiple stages : pre-construction, during construction or post construction.
- Prior to Modeling: Scanners capture detailed site data for BIM planning before modeling. This stage is preferred for renovation or any project considering the environmental outcome also.
- During Construction: A quality controlling step. It can be implemented to different stages for detecting any anomalies or errors. Scanning prefabricated parts before dispatch.
- After Construction: Scanners capture additional site details to be included in BIM schematic. This not only improves site management but could be supportive in facility management during construction life cycle.
Difference between SLAM-to-BIM or SCAN-to-BIM:
Spatial information with SLAM are used as a source for BIM planning. The outcomes with SLAM-to-BIM and Scan-to-BIM are same the only difference is that the latter uses either LiDAR or any there scanning technique for facilitating results.
Benefits of 3D Laser Scanning Services in Construction:
- Faster Collection of Data:
Currently, drones are gaining significance in point cloud scan to bim. These unmanned aerial systems are often used with SLAM scanners, together with conventional LiDAR and GPS improved LiDAR. Mapping and surveying through drones deliver an easy-to-deploy podium for capturing aerial views. At present, some factors are restricting the use of drones about the time of operation and the development of regulations in several countries. Drones help to produce valuable 3d laser scan to BIM process, which is essential for various engineering projects and undertaking scientific tasks
Is 3D Laser Scanning Companies in USA Modeling the Future of Construction
Laser scan to bim process is maturing for easy accessibility and capturing new methods to become viable. Driven by smaller and cheaper scanners and well equipped with improvements in point cloud registration, laser scan to bim technology is becoming an integrated part of several architectural, engineering and construction projects. So, the AEC professionals need to look at the potentials of point cloud scan to bim. To implement the technique, opt for Tejjy Inc. – one of the top design build firms and BIM service providers in USA and get an edge over your competitors. Contact the BIM automation company at 202-465-4830 or firstname.lastname@example.org and get improved BIM execution planning with laser scan to BIM.