3D Laser Scanning Vs. Photogrammetry Technology for Construction
In present daysToday, it’s difficult to envisage the world without digital technology. Nevertheless, the physical world is getting designed & constructed using conventional 2D blueprints, which is yet to be seized in a digital setup. This creates a challenge for the AEC (Architectural, Engineering & Construction) professionals to integrate the as built designs into renovation projects.
What is Photogrammetry?
Photogrammetry is the technology of calculating, measuring and recording information about physical objects and terrain features through images. The basis of photogrammetry process is triangulation technique. Triangulation process is a 3D coordinate measuring technique through photographs. Photo maps a 2D image which can further be rendered into 3D world. But how? By converging the intersecting points in space the 3D coordinates are mathematically calculated. Photographs have to be taken from different locations atleast more than two sides called line of sight for more precision. Tips for good photogrammetry images are Field of View, Focus, Exposure.
Parameters of Photogrammetry Accuracy:
Digital transformation with supportive computer aided software accuracy and precision is the core importance in construction. This was not there in analog to optical-mechanical devices. Still few parameters to hold on for accurate photogrammetry services:
- Good quality and resolution camera.
- Size of the physical object , surface or structure.
- Number of photographs taken
- Geometric layout of the pictures.
What is Photogrammetry used for?
In earlier days photogrammetry was used for topographic mapping. But efficiency of photogrammetry software have swept the benefits beyond imagination. Photogrammetry is used for surveying and mapping. Envisioning to present day scenario
- Engineering: Construction projects depend on accurate measurements. Drones are used for taking photographs for building structures. Apart from this 3D rendering is able to project better perspective of building design.
- Surveying: Land surveying is used to determine the surface of Earth. Used by land surveyors for accurate measurement, government officials use for demarcating boundaries .
- Real Estate: Photogrammetry and drone techniques in collaboration create a visual 3D image of the property. It not only saves time but also adds cost effectiveness to the building.
From forensic to film industry including entertainment , Sports every sphere is enjoying benefits of photogrammetry in 3d modeling.
What is 3D Laser Scanning ?
Laser scanning companies are gaining space in architecture, engineering and construction areas. Fact of the matter is accuracy and ability to manage volume data are its silver lining. Laser scanners collect surface data through a laser beam pointed at the surface. The technology often uses drones or UAVs (eradicating expensive LiDAR assembly methods) and transforms that data into a point cloud. Then the point cloud data gets imported into tools like Autodesk ReCap, transforming it into a 3D model or 2D drawing equipped for additional design in just a matter of minutes. Besides laser scanning, Autodesk Recap converts aerial as well as to object photographs of 3D models.
Deliverables from Point Cloud to BIM include:
- 3D BIM Model Creation for Renovation & Extension – 3D Model gets created using BIM (Building Information Modeling), according to point cloud scan to BIM for enhancing transparency & streamlining communication. BIM technology also facilitates quick decision making during the As-Built Phase.
- As-Built BIM Drawing Preparation – As-Built drawings can be created for Plan, Elevation & Section Sheet. As-Built also provides a comprehensive tool for the planning of future projects, like extension &renovation from laser scan point cloud.
- 4D BIM Construction Scheduling – 4D BIM is used for construction scheduling of renovation. Point Cloud or 3D laser scanning to BIM Modeling facilitates the revamp of old buildings for creating interest among architects.
- BIM Facility Management –BIM engineers enable project team members to combine submittals from point cloud scan during project renovation through facility management. Our experts accomplish complete contact records of the project in the required fields.
Difference Between Photogrammetry and 3D Laser Scanning:
Benefits of using 3D Laser SCANNING to BIM services:
- Create as-built 3D BIM models for existing buildings & renovation.
- 3D models are updated as per the contractors, facility managers, or architect’s prerequisites in a simulated environment.
- Modeling using point cloud to BIM Services data helps the architecture to make decisions about wanted or unwanted components and structures of the building.
- Laser Scanning to BIM technology creates a clash simulation analysis for Architectural & MEP services at an initial phase of feasibility review while adding new services.
Nowadays people look for more accuracy and in this regard, 3D BIM Laser Scanning matches the perfect requirement of the construction domain compared to conventional imaging technique BIM Laser Scanning Vs Photogrammetry . For more information, contact Tejjy Inc. BIM Service Provider at 202-465-4830 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your construction project idea. Read more about Scan to BIM technology.