Building Permits are all about safety. It’s the enforcing construction standards that provide the building occupants the chance to avoid fire, any kind of structural failures, or a simple thing as a child’s head getting caught between stair posts. The building permits, which are the written authorizations issued by a city or county are essential for most of the construction and remodeling projects, to ensure the safety of the work in compliance with building, construction, and zoning codes.
Permits Services in DC are required for:
- New Building & Foundations
- Additions, Modifications, or Restoration of Existing Buildings
- Construction of Retaining Walls, Sheds, Fences, Garages
- Formation of Signs or Awnings
- Inner Space Design of New & Existing Commercial Buildings (for instance, changing the floor plan of a building from 6 one-bedroom apartments to 3 two-bedroom apartments)
- Keeps Contractors Honest through the Use of Safe Methods & Materials
- Guides Project following Modern Building Codes & Practices
- Retains the Validity of Insurance
- Values Your Home While Selling
When an Issued Building Permit becomes Invalid?
Your issued building permit will become invalid if the official work has not started within 1 year after the issuance of a permit, or if the official work has beendeferred for one year, after the beginning of the construction work.
What are the Building Permit requirements of a Historic District?
- Brick Pointing
- Caulking, Patching & Plaster Repairing of non-rated assemblies
- Installing Window Screens & Storm Windows
- Repairing of Fences
- Tiling & Carpeting
- Floor Covering, Counter tops & Cabinets
Construction Permits Required for Replacing/Adding/Renovating Items:
- Roofing &Siding
- Gutters, Downspouts & Fascia
- Private Sidewalks & Driveways
- Suspended ceiling tile
- Gypsum board excluding the installation of fire-rated gypsum wallboard or shaft liner
- Garden storage shed
- Prefabricated pools or accessory to buildings under the jurisdiction of the Residential Code
- Retaining walls not over 4 feet from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall
- Shade cloth structures for nursery or agricultural purposes
- Swings & other playground equipment accessory to family dwellings
- Portableequipment, cases, racks, counters &partitions
- Additional permits like Supplemental Systems Installation (A/C, electric, plumbing)
- Water or Sewer Excavation (pipe installation & water main connections)
Public Space Permits:
A public space permit is essential for installing or using structures on public space such as:
- Dumpsters in Public Space
- Sidewalk Construction, Repair& Cafes
- Front Patios
- Flag Poles, Planter Box, Retaining Walls &Fences
The District Department of Transportationoversees the usage &occupancy ofpublic space permits.
How long does it take to get a building permit in DC?
For a new construction permit, DCRA reports a normal issuance time of 6 months. Commercial new build permits require more than 6 months for the process. However, the situation may not be the same for Washington DC.
How Tejjy Inc. helps in Permit Approval Services in DC?
- Heath Department Approvals
- Site Surveys
- Building Cost Estimation
- Design Development Drawing Review
- Sign Permits
- Term Negotiations with Permit Review Technicians
- Design Modification for Optimized Cost Efficiency
- Stop Work Order Removal
- Permit Timeline Scheduling (Predecessor/Successor)
- Risk Anticipation & Feasibility Analysis
- Predicting Required Permits & Authoring Permit Applications
- Enabling Early Review with Permit Regulators & Expediting Permit Applications